Below is a new requirement for anyone that applies paraquat (Firestorm, Gramoxone, Helmquat, Parazone, etc.) from this point forward. Sarah Grayce Culpepper (my daughter) and I took the test this morning. It was actually fairly interesting, especially to her, and even kept her entertained for the entire training module…..I was very surprised.
We then took the test where she got 14 of the 15 questions correct; I changed the one she had wrong so we would get a 100 which is required to get the certificate for me to be able to apply paraquat.
All in all, this is an excellent course about stewarding pesticides and continues to support UGA’s overall mission. I believe (but not completely sure) that one of the very sad case studies with paraquat poisoning discussed in the training occurred in GA.
Couple of thoughts:
- As a first time user, I did have to create an account with eXtension by clicking on the link in the information below. It took about 10 minutes to get it set up for me to be able to get to the module.
- It took 29 minutes for us to take the course…….our internet is rather slow.
- Sarah Grayce and I took the test together which took 11 minutes. (if you do not make 100, you have to keep taking test until you get 100 so that would add a little more time).
- Took 4 minutes to figure out how to print certificate; make sure to print certificate.
- The issue that many of us (growers/applicators) throughout Georgia either do not have access to the on-line training or do not know to make the technology work is real. Please consider ways to help; even though we know each of you are way too overwhelmed.
- We will add a very brief statement at the end of our UPW trainings and any remaining weed meetings to help share the information.
- Paraquat is an IMPORTANT part of nearly every single sound management program UGA weed science recommends in agronomic crops.
- Critical points to remember include: a) paraquat can only be applied by a certified pesticide applicator and b) an EPA-approved paraquat training is required every 3 years.
- For complete information about this new required training program please refer to this website.
We need to clarify a few things about our recent blog regarding new paraquat training requirements. These training requirements only apply to newly labeled (2019) products. They do not apply to paraquat products with labels prior to 2019.
With that said, we both strongly agree that it would be awesome for Georga growers and pesticide applicators to take the lead and be proactive (like we were with dicamba). Personally after completing this training, we will be changing the way we handle paraquat, protecting ourselves and our employees even more effectively than we did before the friendly training.